Pages

Monday, April 7, 2008

Stop and smell the roses ... or listen to the violins

Today as I surfed through some of the major news stories of the day, the annual headline that is always a favorite of mine caught my eye: this year's Pulitzer prize winners had been announced.

Ever since the early 1990s when I was a staff reporter at the Mountain Democrat, I've always loved reading the award-winning newspaper pieces.

I haven't had a chance to read them all yet. With the twins keeping me busy and Nicky home with strep throat today, I've read just one so far. As I perused the list of winners, categories, and titles, this is the one I chose to read first.

I love this article. It's brilliantly written, wildly entertaining, an interesting look at human behavior, and from a newspaper person's point of view, a masterpiece of an idea. And it's also a great reminder that in the go, go, go of our everyday lives, we need to give ourselves permission to stop and relish the surprises of the day. Enjoy!

No comments: