Pages

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

A Quiet(er) House

Zach and Nick doing their special four-step handshake before Nick and Blake leave for Calif.

We're two weeks into summer vacation now. Only 10 more to go. Gulp.

Two days after school got out, Blake and Nick hopped on a plane to Sacramento to spend a couple weeks (17 days, actually) with their grandparents. They've done this every summer now since we moved here.

Last summer Blake had just gotten his fist cell phone and started dabbling in text messaging. This year, however, he's a text expert ... or maybe addict is a better word. The phone is his new appendage ... it's become one with his hand. I know this because anytime I text him, whatever time of day, I get a reply within 30 seconds.

And when he's hanging out at home, he clings to it and turns his attention from whatever he's doing to read and reply to any messages.

And his answers are always short and sweet. But I've learned not to take it personally -- this is how he texts his friends, too.

Blake texting by the light of the campfire.

Me: "What are you guys up to today?"

Him: "Nothing" or "Headed to Yosemite."

Me: "Good night. Love you."

Him: "K"

Me: "Are you having fun?"

Him: "I guess." I think this is code for yes, but he wants to be cool about it. You know how 12-year-olds operate.

Me: "Is it cold?"

Him: "Yes." This must mean it's freezing. Of course, he's got Arizona blood now.

And then when I heard from my Sacramento Facebook friends that they had crazy wild lightning and thunderstorms, I texted Blake to see how he and Nick fared as they camped at Lake Tahoe with Grandma and Grandpa.

Me: "Hi. Did you have lots of thunder and lightning last night?"

Him: "Maybe."

Me: "What do you mean maybe?

Him: "I mean it did."

Meanwhile, the house has been a bit quieter. No big boys fighting over who gets to play Playstation or who gets to pick what to watch on the good TV. I've been doing way less laundry and don't have to go to the grocery store as often. Milk and cereal are lasting so much longer. And their bathroom is staying so clean.

But still, the house always feels not quite right when any of us are gone.

I'll be ready to see them when they come Tuesday. Until then, I'll enjoy my quiet(er) house.
The grandparents' idea of humor. Good acting, Blake.

Nick's turn.



A cute little bear


No comments: