Pages

Thursday, April 24, 2008

American Idol results: Surprising, but welcome


So I actually had four people ask me where my American Idol blog was yesterday. It's nice to know that people are actually reading what I write. Makes me feel like a real writer again (hopefully I had more than four readers when I was a newspaper reporter, though :).

After Tuesday's performance show, I thought for sure we'd see Brooke and Jason in the bottom two. Brooke, of course, flubbed her beginning -- AGAIN -- and asked the band to restart the song for her. She just seemed so stressed out the rest of the song. I felt so nervous and tense watching her -- like watching your school-aged child in a play, hoping she doesn't flub her lines. And that weird little thing she does, kind of biting her lip ... kind of annoying. I still like her. Apparently a lot of us do.

And Jason. Jason, Jason, Jason. He's like the kid who doesn't have to study, but always gets A's. Going with the flow. While he said he was nervous, he sure didn't look it to me. He's always got the classic lines, though. "I didn't know a cat sang it." Classic Jason. Speaking of cats, ever since that comment, I keep thinking he looks like the Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland. That big smile. Anyway, his "Memories" song was pretty weak.

Syesha, I thought, was sensational. Hers is the performance I remember best. I'm sure Broadway producers will be knocking on her door as soon as the Idol tour is over.

David A -- I'm just not that into him. Sorry. I'm sure he'll be in the final 2 -- perhaps even win. I know the younger crowd loves him.

David Cook was good, as usual. Not as great as some of his performances, but still good. Did anyone catch when Andrew Lloyd Weber, in giving him advice, told David to imagine a beautiful "17-year-old girl?" Geesh! I loved David's reaction. He laughed, bowed his head and said, "I'm 25." Yes, Sir Weber, here in the states men can go to jail for fraternizing with 17-year-olds ... I'm kind of surprised the producers didn't edit that out.

Carley. I've never been a fan and I thought she looked silly when she held up the turquoise T-shirt that said that "Simon likes me." Too bad voters didn't. She's got a great voice, but I don't think she connects with the audience. She was too mature for the younger voters and maybe older voters (like older than me) were put off by her tattoos ... I don't know.

So, yes, I was glad to see Carley go.

And next week we get to hear the final 5 sing Neil Diamond songs. Sounds ... not very exciting. However, I'm eager to hear what David Cook does. I keep thinking of his amazing "Hello" performance. I'm sure he can pull off something similar with a Neil Diamond song. "Love on the Rocks" maybe??

I'm trying to guess what the others might sing. Guesses, anyone?


No comments: