Pages

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

American Idol -- Dolly-style

So it was Dolly Parton week on American Idol. I'd have to say I've never considered myself a Dolly fan, but after hearing that she's penned more than 3,000 songs, I have to admit, I'm impressed. And I thought her comments to the contestants were very heartfelt and thoughtful -- it seemed like she really had been watching the show and knew a bit about each of them.

As for the idol-wannabes ... I'd have to say top honors of the night go to Michael Johns. He had a chance to show his bluesy side and he seemed relaxed and comfortable. I think the producers intentionally put the best performance of the night last ... it often turns out that way.

David Cook had another good night. I'd been reading that he had drawn some criticism for previous weeks' "unique" versions of songs (Billie Jean and Eleanor Rigby) when they were in fact arrangements that he had mimicked after likely Googleing the song and discovering other bands' altered versions. I was glad to see that all that was put aside as he did his own arrangement tonight. Another good week, but not quite up to par to Eleanor Rigby -- still my favorite.

I had hoped that Brooke White would sing "Jolene." Unfortunately, I don't think she gave it enough umph. It almost seemed like nerves were holding her back. She hasn't seemed like herself the past couple weeks.

Ramiele ... I'm sorry. She's cute and sweet, but come on. She's really BORING. She might last another couple weeks flying under the radar, but her time is drawing near.

Jason Castro. Is it just me, or does it sound like he's doing the same thing every week? Tonight it hit me that he would be great on a kids' show. With his animated face and the consistent strumming of his guitar, he'd be a unique addition to the Wiggles. Another two weeks for Jason.

Kristy Lee Cook. I actually liked her tonight for the second week in a row. I think she has a great country voice.

I'm not a big Carly Smithson fan, but I thought she was great tonight with Here You Come Again or Here I Go or whatever it's called. I wonder why Simon doesn't like her. It was mean -- even for him -- to criticize her wardrobe the way he did. She already seems like the most nervous one up there. Before there were pregnancy rumors because she's perhaps -- by Hollywood standards -- a few pounds overweight. Now the poor girl has to figure out what Simon thinks she should wear. Maybe he doesn't like her tattoos.

Little David A. had a great night. Cute and a great song about the Smokey Mountains -- which are beautiful by the way. I visited them when I was 13 or so.

Sayesha -- once again she was forgettable.

Bottom three: Sayesha, Kristy, Jason

Going home: Sayesha

No comments: