Pages

Friday, March 14, 2008

My first half marathon is over -- now what?


So it's been five days now since Brett and I finished our first half marathon. And now, like a kid a few days after Christmas who has tried out all her new toys, I'm wondering -- what next?

For starters, I'll be shopping for a new pair of running shoes. After consulting with Angela, the marathon expert and physical therapist in the family, we've decided that my blistered toe is definitely due to my shoes being too small. I had no idea you're supposed to get running shoes a half size to a whole size larger. Just what I want -- my feet looking even BIGGER.

I got back on the treadmill today for a 4-mile run. And as Elton John belted out "Bennie and the Jets," I realized that mid-March in Phoenix is nearing the end of the outdoor running season. It's already in the 80s. And, unlike Sacramento where the summer days are hot but mornings and evenings cool off, that, unfortunately is not the case here. Lows in the 90s. Back to my treadmill full-time.

On a side note, as you can see in this picture, Allie is already wearing sundresses on some of the warmer days. She loves to pick flowers in the front yard.

So, in this final month or so, I'll run a local 5K on March 29th and then a local 10K, Emma's Run, on April 12th.

And after that? Perhaps then it will be time to take up swimming ...

No comments: