Pages

Thursday, October 21, 2010

A Field Trip to the Pumpkin Patch

It's hard to believe we're already in the thick of October. The best month of the year still plays tricks with my mind here in Arizona, where temps in the upper 80s and 90s are still common throughout the month.



Last week I got to accompany Zach and Allie and four 1st grade classes to a local pumpkin patch. This has always been my very favorite field trip, and one I went on with both Blake and Nick when they were in kindergarten. I still remember Blake tromping through the pumpkin field with his friend Tommy. And I especially remember Nick's trip and his insistence on wearing a white glove on one hand.

The day with Zach and Allie was a bit on the warm side, hovering around 90. The kids got to pick vegetables, visit farm animals, ride a train --well, a tomato-red caterpillar-type thing that travels sans track.

It was a quick, warm day, but I always love seeing Zach and Allie among their classmates. Allie is so sweet with her friends, grabbing her pal Payton by the hand and always quick to put her arm around her for pictures.

And just as he has in the past at other petting farms, Zach in his trademark fashion, plucks one single blade of hay to carefully feed the horse.

But the best part of all is that they still want me there with them ... and still hold my hand as they search for the perfect pumpkin.


No comments: